Gemalto has a long-standing portfolio of eco-friendly products for
government customers worldwide. This was recently expanded, further reducing environmental impact in three key areas:
Reducing hazardous substances
Gemalto actively seeks ways to reduce the use and disposal of hazardous substances during production, e.g.:
- In our advanced Card Center in Pennsylvania, US, we succeeded in eliminating ink jets by replacing them with laser inscription.
- We are treating and recycling rags which were previously discarded in the process of cleaning manufacturing equipment.
- We are increasing the use of vegetable-based inks in the printing process.
Using chlorine-free materials
In 1997 Gemalto began to move to non-chlorine polymers resulting in the majority of our current products being chlorine free. These include:
- PETG(*) based products: a chlorine-free alternative to PVC, PETG can be incinerated without creating harmful gases or air pollution.
- ABS molded cards: these are PVC free and significantly reduce the amount of waste during production.
PC TWIN Reader: the first smart card reader which satisfies eco-design criteria, anticipates legal requirements on hazardous substances and is easier to recycle.
- Small form factor cards: which reduce the amount of material required in production.
(*) Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol.
Promoting renewable and recycled materials
Gemalto actively promotes renewable and recycled materials, reducing the overall environmental footprint of our production processes, e.g.:
- Polylactic Acid (PLA) card: a new bio-sourced material which is easily recyclable and compostable.
- Paper-based materials for short-term use, such as scratch cards.
- ECOPack: eco-friendly packaging made of 100% recyclable materials for our fulfillment services.
- Recycling production waste to make boat masts.
Bio sourced cards that reduce water and energy consumption and minimize waste production.
Card body and Packaging solutions
Financial Services & Retails
Packaging and Innovative plastics turn to be incredibly strong Marketing weapons for our customers, including on the Green side.
Become a sustainable development actor with our innovative Eco Card offer