Gemalto has a long-standing portfolio of eco-friendly products for banking,
telecom and government
customers worldwide. This was recently expanded, further reducing environmental
impact in three key areas:
Reducing hazardous substances
Gemalto actively seeks ways to reduce the use and disposal of hazardous
substances during production, e.g.:
- In our advanced Card Center in Pennsylvania, US, we succeeded in
eliminating ink jets by replacing them with laser inscription.
- We are treating and recycling rags which were previously discarded in the
process of cleaning manufacturing equipment.
- We are increasing the use of vegetable-based inks in the printing process.
Using chlorine-free materials
In 1997 Gemalto began to move to non-chlorine polymers resulting in the
majority of our current products being chlorine free. These include:
- PETG(*) based products: a chlorine-free alternative to PVC, PETG can be
incinerated without creating harmful gases or air pollution.
- ABS molded cards: these are PVC free and significantly reduce the amount
of waste during production.
- PC TWIN Reader:
the first smart card reader which satisfies eco-design criteria, anticipates
legal requirements on hazardous substances and is easier to recycle.
- Small form factor cards: which reduce the amount of material required in
(*) Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol.
Promoting renewable and recycled materials
Gemalto actively promotes renewable and recycled materials, reducing the
overall environmental footprint of our production processes, e.g.:
- Polylactic Acid (PLA) card: a new bio-sourced material which is easily
recyclable and compostable.
- Paper-based materials for short-term use, such as scratch cards.
- ECOPack: eco-friendly packaging made of 100% recyclable materials for
our fulfillment services.
- Recycling production waste to make boat masts.
Bio sourced cards that reduce water and energy consumption and
minimize waste production..
Card body and Packaging solutions
Financial Services & Retails
Packaging and Innovative plastics turn to be incredibly strong Marketing weapons
for our customers, including on the Green side.
Become a sustainable development actor with our innovative Eco Card offer