Recently, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) issued a memo with a very clear message to federal agencies: ramp up your efforts to issue and use federal Personal Identity Verification (PIV) smart card credentials for access to that agency’s facilities, networks, and information systems.
Gemalto sees the use of PIV cards as vital to U.S. national security. As a leader in digital security and the world’s leading provider of smart cards, Gemalto has been at the forefront of developing products and solutions to help U.S. federal agencies comply with Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12 (HSPD-12), issued by President George W. Bush in 2004, and the resulting standard FIPS 201.
Now, federal agencies complying with the OMB M-11-11 memo requirements continue to have a partner with Gemalto. Gemalto’s IDPrime PIV is a comprehensive range of smart cards and readers that are certified as compliant to the FIPS 201 standards and have achieved a place on the approved products list (APL) of the United States General Services Administration (GSA) for acquisition by federal agencies.
About IDPrime PIV cards
IDPrime PIV smart cards feature a dual interface for use with contact and contactless smart card readers, a necessary component for PIV compatibility. They can be used with existing standalone and PC-based smart card readers. The tri-interface versions can be used with legacy proximity readers (based on HID Prox technology) that had been frequently used within government agencies in the past.
Built on the JavaCard platform, the Protiva PIV comes in two storage capacities, medium and large. The large capacity is double the storage of today’s PIV cards, a highly demanded feature in the government sector, and was the first of its kind on the market.
IDBridge Smart Card Readers for PIV, PIV-I and CAC
PC USB Readers
For secure access to government networks and systems, Gemalto’s specially-designed PC-Link reader for FIPS 201 is the IDBridge CT30. Some of its features include:
- Innovative transparent design to highlight the card
- Modular concept with accessories: stand, floppy disk tray,to simplify logistics and inventory
- Maximum usability and reliability with non-removable cable, preventing reader unplugs
- Compact and lightweight to optimize shipping expenses on large project deployment, fitting in a standard postal envelope size
The IDBridge CT30 is available for purchase through the Gemalto Webstore or from the GSA Advantage website.
To best serve the PIV cards unique ability to be used for both contact and contactless applications, Gemalto offers a number of readers including:
- IDBridge 3000 for physical and logical access control. The dual-interface reader makes it convenient to securely access a host of applications using both contactless and contact technologies, with one single device. These include employee corporate badge, electronic identity and healthcare. The PROX DU is fully plug-n-play on Windows® OS in both contactless and contact modes, a feature unique to the Gemalto solution.
- Similar to the IDBridge CL3000, IDBridge CL350 is a dual interface reader with an added SAM ( Secure Access Module) slot. This contact SAM card may be required for some applications such as DESFire, MIFARE Plus or Calypso cards.
- Both the IDBridge CL3000 and IDBridge CL350 are compliant with the latest industry standards, including current versions of ISO 14443, MIFARE and NFC.
Learn More about PIV
Ordering IDPrime PIV cards for your agency
If your procurement officer wishes to purchase our IDPrime PIV cards for your agency, please contact email us at email@example.com, call us toll-free at 877-291-1312, or order through GSAAdvantage.gov