Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Apr 19, 2007
- Gemalto (Euronext NL0000400653 GTO), a world leader in digital security, is positioned as the n°1 supplier in the Annual Report E-passports 2006-2007 of Keesing Journal of Documents & Identity.
While the estimate at the end of last year predicted 40 countries (including 27 VWP1
nations) were to be deploying electronic passport programs, that number has now almost doubled to 70 nations. The report also indicates that last year estimate of the volume of e-passports to be issued by the VWP nations is around 30 millions on an annual basis, while overall annual volume in a couple of year’s time is estimated at around 100 million.
The Keesing report states that Gemalto supplies at least 30% of VWP nations and also the US, and is the leading vendor in the market.
« Governments around the world require a trusted partner able to deliver products certified to the most stringent levels and also with the ability to design custom, easy-to-use electronic passport solutions », says Olivier Piou, chief executive officer of Gemalto, « Gemalto is able to manage any part of or the whole value chain in the e-passport management process. From designing highly secure electronic passport, manufacturing and binding the booklets, using a powerful microprocessor and designing the embedded software for biometric identification, to implementation of the issuance and personalization system. Gemalto is also able to provide governmental agencies with enrolment software and equipment for capturing and digitizing the data, picture and signature and complete border control systems supporting the new European standard to be adopted to protect biometric information».
The Gemalto electronic passport technology includes a highly secure operating system software and encryption algorithms working inside a contactless microprocessor incorporated into the passport's cover. The microcontroller is embedded in a module that is highly resistant to damage. Gemalto’s e-passport references in 2006 include:
- France : First French documents were delivered in April last year, and within 5 months more than one million had been issued – a world record for the industry. At the end of 2006 a total of 2 million were delivered.
- The United States of America: In August, the US Government Printing Office (GPO) placed its first order with Gemalto. The GPO and the U.S. Department of State that evaluated the Gemalto solution confirmed that it fully satisfies their mandatory requirements for privacy protection, security, durability, manufacturing yield, transaction speed and communications performance.
- Estonia: In October the Estonian authorities announced that Gemalto would provide them with a comprehensive turnkey e-passport solution. First deliveries started in early 2007.
- Portugal, Poland, Czech Republic, Denmark, Latvia and Slovenia also selected Gemalto’s travel document solutions in 2006.
Prior e-passport references include Russia and Singapore.
Gemalto aims at making each interaction between citizens and public sector organizations more secure, easier and private. Security, durability and reliability of exchanges and the protection of citizens’ privacy are essential when it comes to digital identity. Gemalto supports key identity applications such as e-visas, e-passports and other international or national identification initiatives as well as governmental agencies programs dedicated to healthcare and social security. Gemalto’s in-depth knowledge of secure identity solutions and services, its expertise in ID management and industrial security processes and its undisputable list of worldwide references positions the company as a preferred partner for governments.
* * *
More information on Keesing Journal at www.keesingfightfraud.com
Gemalto (Euronext NL 0000400653 GTO) is a leader in digital security with pro forma 2006 annual revenues of €1.7 billion, operations in about 100 countries and over 10,000 employees including 1,500 R&D engineers.
In a world where the digital revolution is increasingly transforming our lives, Gemalto’s solutions are designed to make personal digital interactions more convenient, secure and enjoyable.
Gemalto provides end-to-end digital security solutions, from the development of software applications through design and production of secure personal devices such as smart cards, SIMs, e-passports, and tokens to the management of deployment services for its customers.
More than a billion people worldwide use the company's products and services for telecommunications, financial services, e-government, identity management, multimedia content, digital rights management, IT security, mass transit and many other applications.
As the use of Gemalto’s software and secure devices increases with the number of people interacting in the digital and wireless world, the company is poised to thrive over the coming years.
Gemalto was formed in June 2006 by the combination of Axalto and Gemplus.
For more information please visit www.gemalto.com
1 Visa Waiver Program
Find Gemalto's Media Contacts in your region.