What is an eSIM?
- The embedded SIM (also called eSIM or eUICC) is a new secure element designed to remotely manage multiple mobile network operator subscriptions and be compliant with GSMA's Remote SIM Provisioning specifications.
- Available in various form factors, either plugged-in or soldered, the eSIM is easy to integrate in any kind of device.
- Gemalto has developed a full range of subscription management services to handle the embedded SIM during the full life cycle of the device.
Read more on eSIM Solutions
Discover Limmex smart watch example
Thales, the world's leader in eSIM connectivity management
In July 2019, independant global industry analysis firm
Counterpoint has recognised Gemalto as the
world's leading provider in both hardware-based eSIM (i.e. eUICC) and eSIM management solutions.
This is made possible thanks to key tangible elements:
- Largest research & development teams for
SIM and eSIM-related technologies
- Leading contributor to the eSIM standardisation & interoperability (e.g. GSMA's Remote Provisioning Architecture for Embedded UICC specifications)
- Largest portfolio of state-of-the-art GSMA-compliant eSIM solutions -and the only company with full certification with live operation for all eSIM solutions (as of Octobre 2019):
Largest number of GSMA security accredited sites for eSIM production and eSIM management (i.e. 9 SAS accredited sites, as of Octobre 2019)
- Subscription Manager Data Preparation (SM-DP)
- Subscription Manager Secure Routing (SM-SR)
- Subscription Manager Data Preparation for Consumer (SM-DP+)
- Subscription Manager (Root)
Discovery Service (SM-DS)
- Data Centre Operation & Management (DCO&M)
A large number of customers and partners
- The GSMA's Security Accreditation Scheme (SAS) enables mobile operators to assess the security of their UICC / SIM and eUICC / eSIM suppliers, as well as of their eUICC susbcription management service providers.
Leading the eSIM innovation landscapeStrong local support and testing capabilities with a global footprint of technical consultants Highly secure products to protect mobile network operator assets and prevent fraud on devicesUnique expertise on the market in deployment of critical business solutions worldwide (e.g. worldwide datacenter policy, high availability and high scalability, etc.)
- Largest eSIM customer and eSIM partner footprint: 150 eSIM management platforms deployed for mobile operators, operator alliances, MVNOs, automotive markers and OEMs across all continents (e.g.
Huawei, Telefónica Group,
- eSIM partnerships in place with chipset maker
Qualcomm Technologies, BSS vendor
Amdocs and computer operating system makers
- Undisputed leader in the telecom market, working with nearly 450 MNOs worldwide: Gemalto has the largest base of SIM customers, and
over-the-air MNO subscription profiles (300+ references worldwide) and
device management (100 references worldwide)