What is an eSIM?
- The embedded SIM (also called eSIM or eUICC or MMF2 UICC) is a new secure element designed to remotely manage multiple mobile network operator subscriptions and be compliant with GSMA's Remote SIM Provisioning specifications.
- Available in various form factors, either plugged-in or soldered, the eSIM is easy to integrate with any device.
- Thales has developed a full range of subscription eSIM management services to handle the embedded SIM during the entire life cycle of the device.
- The main devices that support eSIM are Apple's iPad Pro, Apple Watch (Series 3, 4, 5), iPhone (XS, XS Max, XR, 11, 11 Pro, Pro Max), Google's Pixel 2, 3, 3 XL, 4 & 4 XL versions), as well as Windows 10-powered, connected PCs.
- To date, 200 mobile carriers in more than 80 countries offer eSIM consumer services.
- The embedded UICC is expected to reach over 200 million shipments in 2019 (source: Eurosmart, November 2019).
Thales, the world's leader in eSIM connectivity management
In July 2019, independent global industry analysis firm
Counterpoint recognized Gemalto as the
world's leading provider in both hardware-based eSIM (i.e., eUICC) and eSIM management solutions.
This is made possible thanks to key tangible elements:
- Largest research and development teams for
SIM and eSIM-related technologies
- Leading contributor to the eSIM standardization & interoperability (e.g., GSMA's Remote Provisioning Architecture for Embedded UICC specifications)
- Broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art GSMA-compliant eSIM solutions -and the only company with full certification with live operation for all eSIM solutions (as of Octobre 2019):
Most significant number of GSMA security accredited sites for eSIM production and eSIM management (i.e., 9 SAS accredited sites, as of Octobre 2019)
- Subscription Manager Data Preparation (SM-DP)
- Subscription Manager Secure Routing (SM-SR)
- Subscription Manager Data Preparation for Consumer (SM-DP+)
- Subscription Manager (Root)
Discovery Service (SM-DS)
- Data Centre Operation & Management (DCO&M)
A large number of customers and partners
- The GSMA's Security Accreditation Scheme (SAS) enables mobile operators to assess the security of their UICC / SIM and eUICC / eSIM suppliers, as well as of their eUICC subscription management service providers.
Leading the eSIM innovation landscape
- Largest eSIM customer and eSIM partner footprint: 190+ eSIM management platforms awarded by mobile operators, operator alliances, MVNOs, automotive markers, and OEMs across all continents (e.g.,
Huawei, Telefónica Group,
- eSIM partnerships in place with chipset maker
Qualcomm Technologies, BSS vendor
Amdocs and computer operating system makers
- Undisputed leader in the telecom market, working with nearly 450 MNOs worldwide: Thales has the most extensive base of SIM customers, and
over-the-air MNO subscription profiles (300+ references worldwide) and
device management (100 references worldwide)
Strong local support and testing capabilities with a global footprint of technical consultants Highly secure products to protect mobile network operator assets and prevent fraud on devicesUnique expertise on the market in the deployment of critical business solutions worldwide (e.g., worldwide datacenter policy, high availability and high scalability, etc.)
- Paving the way to iSIM / integrated SIM, in particular, thanks to a
partnership with Qualcomm
- Paving the way to disruptive bootstrap eSIM connectivity thanks to multi-awarded Thales Instant Connect innovation
- Building a chain of trust in
5G networks thanks to the launch of the
world's first 5G SIM and 5G eSIM.
More resources on eSIM and on-demand connectivity
Discover below our video, brochures, blog posts, and related press releases.